Welcome to the CanadiEM Blood & Clots series. This series of online educational resources focuses on some of the most difficult dilemmas we face in medicine today: how to manage patients who are bleeding, clotting, or both.
Content Developed by the Blood & Clots Team
- Quizlet 1: Oral Contraceptives and Pulmonary Embolism
- Quizlet 2: Trauma in a Patient on Warfarin
- Quizlet 3: Procedures on Warfarin
- Quizlet 4: Antithrombotic Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation
- Quizlet 5: Should I Screen my Patient for Occult Cancer After Unprovoked VTE?
- Post 1: Which antithrombotic therapy should I start for my patient with acute VTE?
- Post 2: How can I tell whether this patient has a deep vein thrombosis?
- Post 3: What are the risks of reversing DOAC-associated intracranial bleeding?
- Post 4: My patient has a pulmonary embolism. Should I screen them for cancer?
- Post 5: When can patients on direct anticoagulants have surgery?
- Post 6: Does my complex patient have DIC?
- Post 7: Massive transfusion protocol: what is it, why does it exist, and when should I call one?
- Post 8: What are the complications of transfusion? What symptoms/signs should I worry about?
- Post 9: Diagnosing pulmonary embolism in pregnancy
- Post 10: How do I manage acute VTE in pregnancy?
- Post 11: How do you choose an anticoagulant for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation?
- Post 12: Anticoagulation for patients with moderate to severe renal dysfunction
- Post 13: Performing non-neuraxial bedside procedures on patients taking anticoagulants
About the series
You’ve seen these situations before – you’ve probably described them as something to the effect of:
- A pickle
- Rock and a hard place
- Sitting on a powder keg
- Between Scylla and Charybdis (if you are a fan of Greek mythology)
The blog posts, interactive activities, and podcasts from this series focus on bleeding and clotting issues in emergency, ambulatory, and inpatient settings. The content is based on what you and your colleagues identified as important in a social-media based needs assessment in Fall 2016.
The Blood & Clots Team
Dr. Eric Tseng, MD, FRCPC (Editor-in-Chief)
Dr. Andrew Shih, MD, FRCPC, DRCPSC(c) (Transfusion specialist)
Dr. Kerstin de Wit, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis & EM specialist)
Dr. Calvin Yeh, MD, PhD (Thrombosis specialist & EM resident)
Dr. Lana Castellucci, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis specialist)
Dr. Vinai Bhagirath, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis specialist)
Dr. Brent Thoma, MD, MA, MSc, FRCPC (Senior Editor)
Dr. Teresa Chan, MD, MHPE (Senior Editor)
Dr. Sameer Sharif, MD (Podcast lead)
Dr. Matthew Nicholson, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis specialist)
Rebecca Dang, MSc Candidate (Administrative Lead)
This project has been generously funded by the BloodTechNet grant from the Canadian Blood Services.