Welcome to the CanadiEM Blood & Clots series. This series of online educational resources focuses on some of the most difficult dilemmas we face in medicine today: how to manage patients who are bleeding, clotting, or both.
About the series
You’ve seen these situations before – you’ve probably described them as something to the effect of:
- A pickle
- Rock and a hard place
- Sitting on a powder keg
- Between Scylla and Charybdis (if you are a fan of Greek mythology)
The blog posts, interactive activities, and podcasts from this series focus on bleeding and clotting issues in emergency, ambulatory, and inpatient settings. The content is based on what you and your colleagues identified as important in a social-media based needs assessment in Fall 2016.
Content Developed by the Blood & Clots Team
- Quizlet 1: Oral Contraceptives and Pulmonary Embolism
- Quizlet 2: Trauma in a Patient on Warfarin
- Quizlet 3: Procedures on Warfarin
- Quizlet 4: Antithrombotic Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation
- Quizlet 5: Should I Screen my Patient for Occult Cancer After Unprovoked VTE?
- Post 1: Which antithrombotic therapy should I start for my patient with acute VTE?
- Post 2: How can I tell whether this patient has a deep vein thrombosis?
- Post 3: What are the risks of reversing DOAC-associated intracranial bleeding?
- Post 4: My patient has a pulmonary embolism. Should I screen them for cancer?
- Post 5: When can patients on direct anticoagulants have surgery?
- Post 6: Does my complex patient have DIC?
Stay tuned. We are in the process of producing these podcasts to make them amazing.
The Blood & Clots Team
Dr. Eric Tseng, MD, FRCPC (Editor-in-Chief)
Dr. Andrew Shih, MD, FRCPC, DRCPSC(c) (Transfusion specialist)
Dr. Kerstin de Wit, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis & EM specialist)
Dr. Calvin Yeh, MD, PhD (Thrombosis specialist & EM resident))
Dr. Lana Castellucci, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis specialist)
Dr. Vinai Bhagirath, MD, FRCPC (Thrombosis specialist)
Dr. Brent Thoma, MD, MA, MSc, FRCPC (Senior Editor)
Dr. Teresa Chan, MD, MHPE (Senior Editor)
Rebecca Dang, BSc Candidate (Administrative Lead)
Dr. Sameer Sharif, MD (Podcast lead)
This project has been generously funded by the BloodTechNet grant from the Canadian Blood Services.