In this week’s episode, we are covering how to best prepare for your all-important interviews! From what questions to expect to how to leave a positive impression, we cover it all! Helping break this all down for us is a panel of resident guests from diverse programs across Canada: Dr. Larissa Hattin, Dr. Dillan Radomske, and Dr. Ben Forestell.
Click Here For Shownotes
Dr. Larissa Hattin is a 4th-year emergency medicine resident at UBC and co-chief resident of the Victoria site. She completed medical school at McMaster and quickly moved out to the island to escape the snow. This year she is completing her fellowship in Medical Education through Oxford University, and as of Christmas owns a very small plot of land in Scotland and is now officially Lady Larissa Hattin!
Dr. Dillan Radomske went to medical school in Calgary at the Cumming School of Medicine and is now in his third year of emergency medicine resident at the University of Saskatchewan. He is interested in medical education, and some of our listeners may recognize his voice from the CanadiEM CrackCast series.
Dr. Ben Forestell is a graduate of McMaster medical school and he is now in his first year of emergency medicine residency, also at McMaster. He is passionate about medical education and has been lucky to be involved with projects like ClerkCast at CanadiEM.
- What would be your advice on how to prepare for interviews, and when would you suggest we start preparing for our interviews?
- What are some traits interviewers are looking for and how do we leave a positive impression on programs?
- Do you have a general approach to answering all interview questions, or do you change your approach depending on the question?
- You may not be able to give any specifics but what are some common questions we might expect to get during our interview period?
- How did you manage stress and anxiety during your interview period?
- Obviously, this year is very unique and all interviews will be conducted virtually, do you have any guesses as to how this will impact the interview process?
- For our listeners who may have in-person interviews again in the future, do you have any tips for making the most of the CaRMS tour? Any cost-saving advice?
- Any final tips or tricks for our listeners?
Did you enjoy the episode? Make sure to follow us on Twitter (@CarmsCast) so you don’t miss the next episode! If you have any questions, or ideas on how we can improve, feel free to reach out to us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a comment below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Produced by Dr. Kevin Junghwan Dong