It has already been one year since we launched the HiQuiPs (Health informatics, Quality Improvement, Patient Safety) series on CanadiEM. This year we had fifteen contributors from across the country, and over 15,000 page visits to our series. Over the past year, we have produced thirteen posts over the HiQuiPs interrelated fields:
- Quality Improvement: On QI, we introduced what is quality of care in the ED, then to guide our readers through the process of completing a QI project, we discussed general considerations for preparation, stakeholder analysis and engagement, how to perform a root cause analysis, different implementation strategies, and which one to choose for your particular project.
- Patient Safety: On PS, we introduced concepts such as a systems-based patient safety paradigm, the role of the ED culture, and we discussed important applications such as patient handovers and patient communication in the ED.
- Health Informatics: On HI, which included the most recent posts, we introduced concepts in biomedical health informatics, as well as barriers and facilitators of utilizing computerized physician order entry.
As we move towards our second year, we are thrilled about our upcoming initiatives:
- We will be teaming up with some prominent national organizations to produce some high-yield content for your review.
- We will start to delve deeper into the topics of quality improvement methodology, patient safety approaches, and health informatics applications.
Seeing that we practice what we discuss and are striving to continuously improve the quality of our posts, we need YOUR help:
- We are looking to recruit two Canadian EM residents to act as HiQuiPs Junior Editors. These new team members will assist in organizing posts, strategic decisions, and editorial tasks for a one-year commitment. If you are interested please contact us for more information and with a brief summary on your relevant experiences!
- We are always looking for relevant and exciting content, if you have an area of expertise you would like to share, or contribute to one of our future posts, please let us know!
- We are also always looking for content that interests you! So please email us and let us know if there are any specific areas you would like to read about.
Our vision is to produce regular high-quality posts relevant to the HiQuiPs field that can assist you in your professional activities. We look forward to hearing from you,
HiQuiPs Editorial Team,
This post was copyedited by Paula Sneath
**UPDATE (November 2020): The HiQuiPs Team is looking for your feedback! Please take 1 minute to answer these three questions – we appreciate the support!**