This page is the home of “Boring Cards,” the Board exam study notes that I have started making for myself. For the complete run-down of my experiments with flashcards and spaced repetition, check out my posts The AnkiEM Project, AnkiEM Evoluation, and Using Spaced Repetition to Study (this last post is the most important). When I started the cards I knew that I wanted to use a spaced-repetition (thanks to Chris Nickson from Life in the Fast Lane for exposing me to this concept) flashcard tool and Anki seemed like the best bet. However, I eventually decided that a more accessible and transferable program would better facilitate sharing with the #FOAMed community and be more future proof.
As outlined in my latest post I used the flashcard program Flashcards Deluxe extensively in preparing for my Canadian EM Board exams. If you would like to make use of my cards they can be accessed as follows:
- Download the Flashcards Deluxe app to your smartphone
- Navigate to the ‘Add deck’ page
- Click the ‘Shared Library’ button (it has the Flashcards Deluxe logo next to it)
- Search ‘BoringEM’ and add the ‘Tiny Tips – BoringEM’ deck with 932 cards
- If you’d like to use my cards in other programs the app can export this deck to Quizlet, Cram, Dropbox, and Google Drive from there
If you use Flashcards Deluxe be sure to turn on its spaced repetition functions. To do so:
- Open the deck as if you were going to begin reviewing it
- Click the gear icon in the top right hand corner
- Click ‘card order’
- Turn on ‘spaced repetition’ (if it isn’t on by default). On this page you can also click ‘Spaced repetition settings’ to customize the repetition settings.
I’ve learned a lot making these cards and even more reviewing them. Hopefully others find them useful as well.